Sunday, October 6, 2013

Never try a new recipe when tired....

Yes I tried and failed miserably! It sounded so yummy. A little more work than I would have liked, but I thought it would be worth it.

I had chicken in the refrigerator and I didn't want to wait another day so I went to work making Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken. First I used olive oil to fry it, which smoked up the house so bad little T came running in yelling Mommy, Mommy! The next batch of chicken I went to fry I decided to see what oil they recommended....canola, it worked so much better! After the chicken was done I put it in the slow cooker and proceeded to mix the sauce that it would cook in. As I'm adding the ingredients I'm thinking that's way too much red pepper flake, but put it in anyway. I added that to the slow cooker, plugged it in and set the timer for 3 hours. I kept coming into the kitchen to see how it was doing sniffing at the lid to smell the yummy-ness. When there was only a half hour left I went in to get the rice and egg rolls started. That's when I noticed.....I didn't turn the dial on my slow cooker to low! It was still off!!! And it was 6:30 already!!! So I had to make something else for dinner. I put the slow cooker pot in the refrigerator and figured I would just make it for tomorrows dinner.

When tomorrow came I made sure my slow cooker was getting warm, when a half an hour was left I made my rice and egg rolls. And dinner was on the table hot and smelling good. The first bite confirmed my suspicions that I had too much red pepper flakes in there! We added a bunch of ketchup and rice (little T had something else) but it was still pretty hot. I grabbed the recipe and noticed it said 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes....I added 1/4 CUP!!! I knew better! I've been cooking for years, decades even! I knew it was too much when I poured it in....did I check the recipe then?! Of course not! I always double check the recipe, but when you are too tired to cook....DON'T!

So that is what the last 2 days have been like. What's for dinner tonight? Something I can just heat up and serve!!!! I'll try that recipe again. When I do I'll add a link to where I found it...if it turns out as yummy as I think it will.

Here's Little T with Indy. In case you didn't know all big dogs think they are a lap dogs! This photo was actually taken the beginning of August, so Indy is a little, OK a lot bigger now!

This is Little T with one of his two cats. This is Mittens. He is a very special tabby along with his sister Cuddles. I'll chat about them more later. It's a wonderful story, at least I think so! :)
 
So this is how not to try a new recipe and this is Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment