Saturday, May 1, 2021

Color Challenge For May, Easy Potatoes O'Brien And A Month Distracted

 

First I have to show off May's Color Challenge block. Yes! I was last months block ambassador for Jen's Monthly Color Challenge and I'm doing it again this month!!! Her patterns are very beginner friendly and come together quickly, which for me is a plus since I'm such a slow sewer! This month block is brown and Potatoes is the produce that goes with it! I'm using batiks in brown and cream, just like a potato!

Did you ever look at a block and think that would be cool as a quilt? That's what I thought of this block. So I got on EQ8 and played around and here is the results!!!

I love it when one block can give you so many extra designs! I may have to make this quilt!!! To get the instructions for this block visit Jen's blog. The pattern is free for the month and you still can get previous months for $1 each block! Not bad!!! Just head to Jen's blog!

May Bloggers

Bea - Bea Quilter

Kathy - Kathy's Kwilts N More

Raylee - Sunflower Stitcheries and Quilting

Andi - True Blue Quilts

Crystal - DayBrook Designs

Ashli - Quilt 2 End Alz

Joanne - Everyone Deserves a Quilt


Sponsors

Jen has gathered together a bunch of wonderful sponsors. They are broken down into quarters and winners are chosen quarterly; April 1, July 1, Oct 1 and Jan 1, 2022. To enter you simply add your block to the Link Up at the end of each month. One entry per quilter and it needs to be the block from the current month. Finish each month and you will have 3 entries each quarter and at the end of the year you'll have a wonderful quilt!!!





Bea Quilter - PDF Pattern

For the Love of Geese - PDF Pattern

True Blue Quilts - Book: Monochromatic Quilts Amazing Variety*

Make Modern Magazine - 6 month subscription

Island Batik - Fat Quarter Bundle*

Benartex - Fabric Bundle*

Quilters Dream Batting - 60 x 60 Dream Poly*

The Warm Company - 90 x 108 Warm and Plush 100% Cotton

Appliques Quilts and More - $10 gift certificate

Fat Quarter Shop - Gift Certificate

DayBrook Designs - 2 PDF Patterns

Patterns By Jen - Tucker Trimmer 1® ruler*

Those marked with * are for US residents only. Prize laws vary throughout different countries.


Potatoes O'Brien
I make these on a sheet pan and in the oven set at 500.
 Southern style O'Brien Hash browns (I use Walmarts Great Value brand)
1 Tbls melted butter
Olive Oil
2 Tbls Italian Seasoning
Paprika
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
 
1. Spread the Hash Browns in a single layer on a baking sheet and pre-heat oven to 500.
 
2. Melt the butter and add olive oil to make about 1/2 cup. Mix in Italian Seasoning.
 
3. Drizzle the melted butter mix on the hash browns to cover evenly. Mix the hash browns and butter and spread it back out. If there is dry areas you can you a little olive oil.
 
4. Pop in the oven for 20 minutes or until the desired crispness, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes.
If I'm in a hurry I will skip step 2 and put slices of butter on the layer of hash browns then sprinkle with seasonings. After about 5 minutes I stir up the potatoes and spread them back out.
 
 

Now for my distraction... Let's just say I had a very confusing month! I had no idea what day it was! I didn't get many blocks done, but I did sew! I joined with a group on Instagram (< follow me!) and they were having a month long sew a long of Tilda Dolls. I never heard of them, but I had a wonderful time making these little dolls!

My first one is this cow...so cute!
Here is my second one. I had to make it look like my Duke!!!
Duke doesn't like when I take pictures of him with my phone! Which made for funny pics of him!!!
I did make a pair of overalls for "Duke" too along with a bandana. Then I made Tilda's Beach Bella.
Here are all three, but there is more that are in different stages of completion. You can find the patterns for these three and many more at Tilda's World just go to the Free Pattern tab. She has quilts, pillows too. Each cuter than the other!!!


I hope your month was more organized than mine! But the next few months don't look much better for me! We plan on moving soon!
 
Sheila






7 comments:

  1. Your brown and cream fabrics sure made a pretty block. Actually, I love the color brown. Your Tilda dolls are adorable. I downloaded those same patterns a long time ago and so far have completed only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danice, I like using browns too. I love it with rose, teals, pretty much everything hahaha
      I don't know how you only made one! I can't seem to stop making them! I bought 5 of her books I'm so hooked!

      Delete
  2. Such cute dolls, Sheila! Which pattern did you use to make Duke's look-alike? Are you staying in Kentucky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! I went to double check were I got the dog pattern from and it's in the tab marked Tilda Friends. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Yes we are staying in Kentucky, heading to the Bowling Green area.

      Delete
  3. I like your browns! I've really been enjoying Jen's patterns this year, I think they're brilliant. At the linkup you'll have to see what color I made my "potato" - lol!
    Those dolls are so cute, especially Duke. And Duke is adorable. I really enjoy seeing him and Gracie on IG.
    I'm adding your blog to my list to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for following me! Are you txquiltgal? I love your IG, but haven't been on in awhile. I'll have to get caught up and check out your blog!!!! Right know it seems like all I've been doing is packing and squeezing in sewing every chance I get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m definitely going to have to start following some of these blogs; I appreciate several from the Information which has been composed.
    Spray Tan
    Thanks for sharing. , I will visit once more.

    ReplyDelete