Thursday, May 30, 2019

Sometimes You Just Have To Make A Whale

Well at least I do! I've been collecting whale patterns for a while and I found two blogs that were what I was looking for. The one blog actually got the idea from the other blog, so it's basically the same design. Here's the blog I got it from, she also links to the other blog... http://www.allmyfriendsareflowers.com/2013/12/denim-whale-tutorial-printable-pattern.html
I changed a few things and I think it made my whale a little lumpy. I also sewed on the line instead of cutting him out on the line so I'm sure that made him thicker. And I did change the tail so it was more like their tail. Did you know they photograph the tails to keep track of that individual! I may make more later, but at least I got it out of my system for now! But I have be collecting shark patterns soooo....

Now on to OMG, One Monthly Goal. I'm so happy to say that I DID finish my goal!!!
I'm calling it Starry Night because Van Gogh's Starry Night inspired the quilting of this one. I stitched circular stitches around the stars and swirls through the rest of the quilt. It quilted up fast and I love how it turned out. The batting I used is 50-50 blend of Bamboo and Cotton I purchased from Fat Quarter Shop. I can see me using this again and again! It's so soft and quilted up beautifully. On the back I put tabs along the top so when it's too warm out to use it can still be enjoyed as a wall hanging.
This is the back. I did an improve strip of the fabric I used on the front. I enjoyed the free style of this so much I may have to do a top of improved strips!

And  now for the Quilt A Longs...
I have a few blocks done from the quilt a longs I'm participating in. First Pat Sloan's A Flower Bouquet.
This is Block #5 When To Garden

 Block #15 Rose Garden

 Block #18 Secret Garden

Block #19 Master Gardener

Now for Pat Sloan's Out Of This World QAL
Block #5 Astronauts 

This is the Aurifil Designer of the Month quilt a long and this is the block for May. It was suppose to be all red for ruby's, but I decide to do a sapphire and emerald in mine.

I've been enjoying these quilt a longs and I'm now sewing the sashing and cornerstones on the Flower Bouquet. I'm so excited about finishing it!
I hope you've had a fun and productive sewing adventure! I'm thinking of more sea creatures to sew!
Sheila

2 comments:

  1. Very fun! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on the whale... how fun!
    And I love your version of the Aurifil block!

    ReplyDelete