Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sanitary Commission Stamps and Quilt A Longs oh my!

I've been busy with my quilt guild for a while. There is a civil war reenactment that goes on every year in Perryville KY. This year our quilt guild planned to have a civil war quilting reenactment that ran along with it! I've learn so much about what the ladies part was in the civil war. I was part of the committee to help organize and get the word out. Then I was made aware of a stamp that was used by the US Sanitary Commission to stamp the back of the quilts used at the hospitals. Well, since it is my job to make stamps I was put in motion to do just that! In looking up images of the stamps used I've learn about a few things, which is always a plus! I made one stamp that is a pretty good replica if I do say so for my self and I made a second stamp, more of a commemorative stamp for the event. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend the 3 day event, but I heard all the stamps I sent sold! How cool is that!

Here is a image of the two stamps I made for the event. I usually take photos of the actual stamps for my shops, but I was in such a hurry to get them done and to the reenactment I forgot! I'll see about getting that done and loaded onto my shops very soon! 
 
As soon as they came to pick up the stamps for the reenactment I went right to work on blocks! Thank goodness the material was already cut out, all I had to do is sew them together!!
Pat Sloan's Grandma's Kitchen block #12
and
block #13

 
I guess it's a good thing I didn't post yet!!! I finished up two more blocks from Grandma's Kitchen!!!
Here's block #14. I really love how this one came out!!!

 
And block #15. I enjoyed this one too, I just confused myself with the two different mediums...one looks more light than medium! But it's still an interesting block! and I'm glad I threw those big yellow and blue roses in there.
 
 
 This block below is from Aurifil's Designer of the Month QAL. Also hosted by Pat Sloan! This is the block from February's designer. I really love batiks!! They have such a natural, unplanned look and they go so well with each other!
 
I have some more blocks that I need to sew up. They are also ready to go just as soon as I decide what I want to work on next. I have the solstice quilt under my needle waiting for me to finish quilting it and since our quilt guild meets a week from Tuesday I'm going to do what I can to finish it so I can take it to Show and Tell!!!! I'm really looking forward to finishing that one up! It's all batiks and the blocks were pure joy to work on. I think I've learn so much by doing that QAL even though it was already through. There was so many HST that I was doing them in my sleep!!!!
 
Well, this is what I've been working on and
this is
Sheila from KY!

No comments:

Post a Comment